What is Mandate Democracy™?
An initiative for participatory “Mandate Democracy™”
- Federal-level Initiative & Referenda: Caltech Alumni + Other participating institutions.
- Citizen-initiated — No “ballot access barriers,” petitions, legislative & special interest $$.
- Enabled by cutting-edge IT, blockchain i-Voting, cyber-security, big data analytics.
- Project derived from developed, pilot-tested ballots with Senate Budget Committee.
- Rigorous design, control and analysis to advance state-of-the-art Democracy.
- Platform for faculty research, scholarly contributions, U.S. and international.
- An inevitable, emerging political technology paradigm.
Why Should We Restore Governance Integrity?
Restore Governance Integrity & Replace Obsolete democratic Mechanics
- U.S. now downgraded to a “Flawed Democracy” : Poor electoral participation &
- “Continued erosion of trust in government & elected officials.”
- (Interational Democracy Index)
- “Aristocratic” (Privileged, self-perpetuating revolving-door ruling class)
- Supported by: “Plutocracy” (… a small minority of the wealthiest interests )
- Degrading both the Political & Economic marketplaces.
- ~~ Only 18% trust Government to “do the right thing” (historic low) (Pew)
- ~~ 75% say “Government corruption widespread” (worst Western democracy) (Gallup)
- ~~ 81% say “Federal Government is corrupt” (Rasmussen 2016)
- #2 Issue for U.S. Millennials : Govt/Corruption (Inequality #1) (World Ec. Forum 2018)
- Ruling demographics:
- Plutocrats | Career politicians | Party functionaries | Lawyer/lobbyist
- The Two Party business model : Branding | Propaganda | imagery | Sophistry
- ~~ Mad Men marketing : Sloganeering | Demagoguery | Staged rallies
- “Play to Your Base,” dog-whistle “Others” :
- Cultural, racial, ethnic, religious, gender prejudice.
- ~~ Intentional, fomented civic polarization for vote-pandering & fund-raising.
- ~~ Scapegoating | Blame-game | Deadlock | Splintered factions-within-factions.
Supportive Resources and Facts
Massive reservoir of dissatisfied Citizens & animated PIGs
- ~~ 71% say Washington “does not represent people like yourself. ”
- ~~ 74% say they’re “Angry” at the “way the Parties are dealing with the country’s problems. ”
- ~~ 78% of Independents say Parties “do such a poor job of representing the people. ”
- ~~ 42% self-identify as “Independent” : Plurality over Ds (29%), Rs (26%) — historic lows.
- ~~ 85% of millennials say government is “run by a few big interests looking out for themselves and their friends. ” (Common to all demographics) (Univ. of Chicago 2018)
- Cause of government dysfunction? (Multiple choice) (Univ. of Maryland 2017)
- ~~ 96% pick money in politics (#1 most chosen)
- ~~ 94% pick big donors (#2)
- ~~ 93% pick Political Extremists (#3)
Features of Mandate Democracy™
Non-partisan, non-ideological, fact-based voter information & action
- Referenda on specific propositions, prepared for executive & legislative action.
- Pledges & Accountability from candidates, officials for post-election implementation.
- Constitutionally-grounded in principles of a democratic Republic.
- Ballot issues: Government integrity measures | Budget allocations | Policy concerns.
- Factual public information published pre-election, multi-media dissemination.
- Pro/Con & Consequences information on policy & budget options available.
- Facilitate integrated voter registration channels & Internet accessibility.
Why Caltech Alums?
A national resource, objective leadership demographic
- Credibility & Trust: Source of information & Governance mechanics.
- Engrained scientific ethos : “The Truth shall make you Free,” Caltech motto.
- Analytical | Skeptical | Conscientious | Informed | Motivated.
- “I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men…where I was capable of thinking for myself.” ~~ Thomas Jefferson
- #1 top Institution trusted by Millennials : Scientists 57%.
- Public trust (fair/great deal) : Scientists 76% (#2 only to military ).
- 80% say (very/somewhat) “important for elected officials to listen to scientists. ”
- “Confidence they act in public interest” (great deal/fair amount) (Pew 2016).
- 84% say Medical Scientists (#1)
- 79% say Military (#2)
- 76% say Scientists (#3).
- 27% say Elected officials (lowest category)
Where is Mandate Democracy™?
Local administration in 435 congressional districts.
- National expansion for i-Voting in conjunction with 2020 elections.
- Locally-adaptable web i-vote modules — all cyber-secure, transparent, auditable.
- Alums/Reps for local anchor, coordination, oversight & officials’ accountability.
- Active collaboration with university political science and technology programs.
- Enables single choice or Priority-scaled, Ranked-voting to gauge breadth and intensity.
- Adapt i-Voting blockchain & n-programming modules to electoral districts.
- Votes cast within a 45-day window ending on Election day.
- Built on official Registered Voter Lists — Encoded, protected, One Person/One Vote.
- Facilitate integral locally-qualified voter registration channels.
Objectives & Impact of Mandate Democracy™
- Connect an informed Electorate with actual Government Outcomes
- Federal – Level “I&R” in 435 congressional districts, with regular elections
- Referenda votes on governance, budget priorities, critical issues, recall
- Citizen-Initiated “Mandates” imposed on candidates & officials
- Public voice to overcome entrenched Party & special interests
- Surmount gridlock, factionalism & failed governance
- Promote Voter education, participation, a true Democratic Republic
- Technology enabled: Web-based blockchain, cyber-secure, transparent
- Mandated measures: For Government Integrity, Policies, Budget, Issues
- Politically welcomed: Platform plank for candidates & elected officials
- Citizen Initiative: No partisan, ideological, corporate agendas
- Coalition network: Caltech Alums, universities, Public interest groups
- Operating roots: National infrastructure, by congressional districts
- Source for companion, trustworthy fact-based Voter Information
- Enhanced Voter registration plus Internet accessibility
- Platform for multi-disciplinary academic research
The Mandate Democracy® Initiative transforms the connection between Voters and control of their Government. Using advanced information technologies for cyber-secure i-Voting Referenda, we’ll create a new paradigm for a 21st Century constitutional democratic Republic.
Still have questions? Contact us!
Ready to make a difference? Help us expand i-Referenda & accountability in your congressional district.